Welcome to the Home Education Office’s web site. This site contains information and resources to assist you as you home-educate your child(ren). Our office will mail you an acknowledgement letter and information packet when we receive your notice of intent. We hope you find this information useful.
Cheryl L. Bottini, M.A.
What is Home Education?
A student must be of school age to be enrolled in Home Education as specified in section 1003.21, Florida Statutes (F.S.). The law requires the custodial parent(s)/guardian(s) of home education students to:
- Submit a Notice of Intent (click for optional form) to establish a home education program (section 1002.41 (1) (a), F.S.)
- Maintain a portfolio containing work samples, reading list (title, author) and a log of educational activities
- Provide an Annual Evaluation (Creole, Spanish, Portuguese); see Statutes and Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- Submit the evaluation results to the Home Education Office annually, no later than your anniversary date. Refer to the letter mailed to you when you registered for the anniversary date. If your child has completed a variety of courses through FLVS and/or another accredited program, print out a grade report (showing the school's letterhead) and submit this as an annual evaluation. You may mail, fax, or email the information to our office (firstname.lastname@example.org). Fill out the top portion of the evaluation form to reconfirm address and contact information.
- Preserve each student's portfolio for two years and make it available for inspection by the Superintendent's designee, with a 15-day written notice (section 1002.41 (2), F.S.)
- Submit a Notice of Termination (click for optional form) to conclude the home education program (section 1002.41 (1) (a), F.S.)
School District of Palm Beach County Home Education Office
3308 Forest Hill Blvd., Suite C-141
West Palm Beach, FL 33406-5813
Phone: 561-434-8052 | Fax: 561-434-8447
- There are many home education parent support groups in Palm Beach County. Support groups provide assistance regarding curriculum, instruction, educational activities, annual evaluator, and other educational needs. To receive a list of support groups, click here.
- Home Education students may access instruction, if eligible, at their zoned school if the class is related to an extracurricular activity (section 1006.15, F.S.) the student participates in and/or relates to the student's Individual Education Plan (IEP) for Exceptional Student Education (ESE). In order to begin this process, contact your zoned public school.
- Free virtual education courses are available for students K-12 through Palm Beach Virtual School (561-881-4760 or www.palmbeachvirtual.org).
- If a home education student enrolls in a public school within the School District of Palm Beach County, grade placement and credits will be determined by the school administrator(s) according to district policies (district policy 8.14). The student's curriculum, portfolio, official transcripts (e.g., accredited correspondence programs), and annual evaluations may be reviewed at the school prior to placement or credit decisions.
- If your child is currently enrolled in a public or private school, please complete the withdrawal process prior to enrolling in Home Education. In order to begin this process, contact the school your child attends.
- The School District of Palm Beach County does not provide a diploma, books, curricula, or materials for home education students. Off-Adoption Textbooks (books no longer used in our district schools) may be available to the public by contacting your local school.
- The FCAT, Florida Standards Assessment (FSA) is one of 5 options for satisfying the annual evaluation for home education students. The End-of-Course (EOC) exam for select high school courses is also optional. Home education students must pre-register with the home education office to take these exams. Please call (561) 434-8052 to inquire about testing dates and register your child.
- If a home education student enrolls in a public school within the School District of Palm Beach County, grade placement and credits will be determined by the school administrator(s) according to district policies. The student's curriculum, portfolio, official transcripts (e.g., accredited correspondence programs), and annual evaluations may be reviewed at the school prior to placement or credit decisions.
- Students with a prior pattern of public school nonattendance may be subject to monthly portfolio reviews in accordance with Florida law (section 1003.26, Florida Statutes).
- For further information, including translations in Spanish and Haitian-Creole, please contact the Home Education Office at (561) 434-8052.