Specialist, Private and Public Schools
Palm Beach School District
What is the McKay Scholarship Program? The McKay Scholarship Program is a state-funded program which allows parents of students with disabilities to choose the academic setting that is best for their child’s educational needs. Eligible students may attend a participating private school, another public school in their home district, or a public school in a neighboring district if space is available.
Who is eligible? To be eligible to receive a McKay Scholarship, a student must:
- Have an active 504 Plan or Individual Education Plan (IEP) which documents a disability,
- Be at least 5 years old and younger than 22 by September 1 of the scholarship year,
- Be a Florida public school student, and
- Have attended public school in Florida during the prior school year (meeting both the October and February FTE counts).
How to apply: File Intent to Participate on the FLDOE School Choice website www.floridaschoolchoice.org.
- Select McKay Scholarships and follow the directions on the screen.
- When finished, save the confirmation number. It will be needed to check the application status.
- The District will post the eligibility status and, if appropriate, the child’s matrix number on the website within 30 days of the filing Intent. The parent will be notified via e-mail by the DOE, if an address was provided, of receipt of the filing. The parent is responsible for checking the Intent status.
VERY IMPORTANT: The Intent must be filed before the child withdraws from public school.
For Public School Option:
Requests for first semester will be accepted April 1st – June 1st of each school year. Any request received after June 1st will be considered late and will not be processed.
Requests for second semester will be accepted October 1-31st of each school year. Any request received after October 31st will be considered late and will not be processed.
Please call 561-434-8364 for all public school requests.