School Food Service has been striving toward a greener operation for years. Initially, we started focusing on more energy efficient types of equipment in an effort to reduce water consumption as well as electrical and gas consumption. This initial effort turned into a broader span in the past five years as manufacturing and general operational and business practices have had an increased focus on how day to day operations affect the environment.
These are a few things we have done to improve the efficiency of our operation as well as decreasing the impact on the environment.
- Worked with equipment manufacturers whose equipment is typically inefficient by design to increase efficiency. For example, working with our primary exhaust hood manufacturer, we have reduced the size of our hoods along with decreasing the water usage by 50%, as well as reducing the airflow allowing more efficient electrical consumption.
- All equipment used in our operation that is efficient by design is Energy star rated within the top 5 of their respective classifications.
- We have an extensive Capital and Expendable equipment recycle and reuse program which:
1. Reduces replacement equipment expenditure.
2. Reduces cost for repair parts.
3. Provides income revenue to the District through surplus equipment auction and sale of recyclable materials.
4. Provides equipment to educational programs in various schools throughout the District.
- We have refitted our chemical program for sanitation to using Green Seal certified products in all aspects available for cleaning and sanitation practices.
- We continually evaluate our needs and have reduced square footage of our operations therefore reducing the amount of raw materials needed for initial construction, reducing the amount of utilities needed for operation, and reducing the amount of support materials needed to maintain operation.
- We work together with our menu committee to use products and develop recipes that require less equipment to prepare and store food served.
- Researched and chose companies to provide selected single service items to assist us in reducing the amount of Styrofoam products being used.
School Food Service is always looking at more efficient operational practices, and products to increase our efficiency, while reducing consumption of resources.