Community Service Information
Click here for the Park Vista Community Service Log.To submit your community service log, please complete this Google Form and attach your documentation.Do not use this Google Form to submit work hours for Bright Futures. To submit work hours, please complete the Park Vista Bright Futures Pard Work Hours Log. A hard copy of this documentation should be turned in to Ms. Mills in the School Counseling Office.What are the Community Service Guidelines for the School District of Palm Beach County?
The following guidelines must be followed to participate in activities that are considered acceptable for community service:
- Community service is defined as non-paid volunteer work with a non-profit agency.
- Students may begin accumulating service hours as early as the summer prior to entry of the 9th grade year.
- Service should benefit the community at large. Working solely for an individual will not be acceptable.
- Hours must be documented in writing, either on a common community service log (generated by the School) or on letterhead from the organization being served.
- Students who do not have access to community service opportunities must be provided opportunities on the school campus. It is the student’s responsibility to alert the School
- Counseling Department that he/she is in need of school access to community service
- Time spent organizing and collecting canned goods, clothing, or book drives for a community in need does qualify as community service.
- Service on behalf of a candidate for public office is acceptable.
The following are examples that would not count as community service:
- Rehearsal time for participation in a fine arts or performing arts program.
- Practice time for sports and band.
- Club meetings to organize community service activities.
- Donating canned goods or items to gain community service hours.
- Parents cannot sign to verify their child’s participation in a community service activity
I want to volunteer, but where?
- Check the volunteer file in the school counseling office.
- Visit the United Way Website (www.unitedwaypbc.org), Volunteer Match (www.volunteermatch.org) or the School District website (https://www.palmbeachschools.org/cms/one.aspx?pageId=8920292).
- Check with your club sponsor.
- Check with the activities office at Park Vista.
- Listen to the announcements.
Is Community Service Required For Graduation?
Yes- 20 hours of community service are required for graduation but remember it can also help you to be a better candidate for college acceptance and for scholarship selection.
What Is The Community Service Requirement For The Bright Futures Scholarship?
- 75 hours for the Florida Medallion Scholars award level
- 100 hours for the Florida Academic Scholars award level