Review the Official Statement of Status of Eligibility you received from the Florida Department of Education to determine if you need to take any professional preparation coursework. All requirements need to be completed prior to the expiration date of your three-year temporary certificate.
Mastery of Professional Preparation and Education Competence may be demonstrated by one of the following:
- Completion of a Florida state-approved teacher preparation program, verified by an official transcript from a Florida college or university and a passing score on the Florida Professional Education Test.
- Completion of a teacher preparation program outside Florida, determined through evaluation of official transcripts showing evidence of student teaching and education coursework, and a passing score on the Florida Professional Education Test.
- A valid standard certificate from another US state or territory.
- A valid certificate issued by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS).
- Two semesters of documented college teaching experience in a full-time faculty (not adjunct) position earned at an accredited or approved institution.
- Completion of a Florida state-developed or state-approved Alternative Certification Program and a passing score on the Florida Professional Education Test.
- A valid “Passport to Teaching” certificate issued by the American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE) and completion of an approved professional education competence demonstration program.
- Completion of a Florida state-approved Educator Preparation Institute (EPI) alternative certification program and a passing score on the Florida Professional Education Test.