Official Statement of Status of Eligibility (SOE)
Understanding the Official Statement of Status of Eligibility (SOE)
What is an Official Statement of Status of Eligibility (SOE)?
A SOE is a written evaluation completed by the state of your eligibility for a teaching certificate.
Who receives one and why?
People who apply for a teaching certificate receive a SOE. The candidate completes and submits a complete application packet to the Florida Department of Education (DOE) for evaluation. Once the credentials have been evaluated, a SOE is mailed to the address listed on your application form.
What is included in a complete application packet?
- Completed application form.
- Check, money order or online credit card payment of $75 for each subject area evaluation requested.
- Official transcripts showing conferral of a minimum of a bachelor’s degree, major, grades, GPA, etc.
- A copy of the front and back of an out-of-state teaching certificate.
Note: Applicants with foreign credentials must submit an equivalency evaluation report from an approved credential evaluation agency along with certified copies of original documents for all coursework and diplomas involved in the evaluation report.
When will I receive the SOE?
The SOE will not be sent until the application packet is complete and the credentials are evaluated. If the application packet is incomplete, the DOE will notify you in writing of what is needed to complete the packet.
What do I do if my personal information has changed?
It is your responsibility to maintain current personal information (address and telephone number) with the Florida Bureau of Educator Certification. You manage your personal information through the Bureau’s online service at www.fldoe.org/edcert.
What is the purpose of a SOE?
A SOE states whether or not you are eligible for a teaching certificate in the subject area you requested. The SOE also provides you with a customized list of requirements you will need to complete to become eligible for a temporary or professional teaching certificate from the State of Florida.
How long is the SOE valid?
The SOE is valid for three years from the date of issuance. The expiration date is firm and cannot be changed.
Why is the validity date on the SOE different from the validity date on my teaching certificate?
The validity period on the SOE does not correlate with the validity period on your teaching certificate because they are issued at different times.
- If you don’t have a teaching certificate, you follow the validity period listed on the SOE while you work on the requirements listed on the SOE.
- Once a teaching certificate is issued, you must complete the requirements on your SOE during the validity date on the teaching certificate. The validity dates on the SOE are no longer in effect.
Once you receive your SOE, it is your responsibility to satisfy the requirements for certification within the prescribed timelines.