Career/TechEd Certificate Eligibility
Requirements for Initial Employment
- Hold a high school diploma or the equivalent based on general educational development tests.
- Meet the age requirement established for instructional personnel.
- Meet the health requirements established for instructional personnel.
- Submit fingerprints and be cleared for employment.
- Submit notarized verification of occupational expertise in the area of the teaching assignment.
- Gained as a wage earner after age sixteen (16).
- Verified by one of the following:
Verification of Occupational Expertise
Occupational expertise shall be established in the area of assignment by one of the plans specified below:
At least six (6) years of full-time occupational expertise or the equivalent part-time experience in the occupational field of the teaching assignment.
A minimum of two (2) years of full-time occupational experience or the equivalent in part-time experience in the occupational field of the teaching assignment with a bachelor’s or higher degree.
Note: Upon review of submitted transcripts, graduate level medical professionals with state/national and license/certification may count clinical experience hours toward occupational experience.
A minimum of four (4) years of full-time occupational experience or the equivalent in part-time experience in the occupational field of the teaching assignment in combination with one of the options listed below:
- Thirty-six (36) semester hours of college credit earned at an accredited institution in skills or theory courses specific to the teaching assignment.
- Successful completion of a program of training specific to the teaching assignment and completed at an approved post-secondary vocational or technical institution. This must be a preparatory program and not a supplemental program or component of a program.
- A valid certificate, registration, or license issued in the area specific to the teaching assignment from an approved credentialing agency.
Note: State issued licenses are required for specific programs.
- A certificate of completion of an apprenticeship as established by the united States Department of Labor, or any state apprenticeship department, specific to the teaching assignment.
Additional Verification Requirements
Verification from one of the following must be notarized and submitted on business letter-head
- By former employers, or
- By an individual knowledgeable of the applicant’s service, such as an accountant or business owner, if self-employed, or in a family owned business, or with a firm no longer in business.
The verification must specify the following:
- Dates of employment,
- Job title(s), job descriptions and responsibilities, and
- Full-time or part-time employment. For part-time employment, include the number of hours worked per week.
Acceptable documents that may be submitted for verification of occupational experience include the following:
- Military separation form (DD 214)
- Military evaluation
- Employment documentation from a labor union
Unacceptable documents include:
- Internal Revenue Service - W-4 Form
- Social Security documents
- Contract and/or lease
Recency of Experience or Training
Recency of experience or training is required in the occupational field relating to the specific teaching assignment, as follows:
- Twelve weeks of occupational experience gained within a five-year period immediately preceding the date of application for employment.
- Three semester hours of college credit earned at an accredited institution within the three years immediately preceding the date of application for employment and completed in skills or theory related to the teaching assignment.
- A vocational training program completed within the three-year period immediately preceding the date of application for employment.
- One year of successful teaching experience in the area of the teaching assignment completed in the three-year period immediately preceding the date of application for employment.
Computation of Work Experience
The six years of required occupational experience is based on a forty-hour work week. The work experience requirement can be established on a full-time or part-time experience, but the experience must equal a total of forty hours per week.