International Baccalaureate (IB) Programs
Grades K-5: International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme
The IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) curricular framework focuses on the development of the whole child in a learning environment that encourages independence, academic challenges, inquiry, creativity, and responsible citizenship. This Choice program offers a comprehensive, inquiry-based approach to teaching and learning in an internationally designed concept-based model with guidelines on student learning styles, methodologies and assessment strategies. The PYP is a combination of the best research and practices from international schools and includes the study of world languages and cultures to enhance the international perspective.
Elementary Schools Offering IB Primary Years Programme:
- Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune Elementary (Coordinator: Colleen Monn)
- Forest Park Elementary (Coordinator: Simone Green)
- Grove Park Elementary (Coordinator: Wendy Holland)
- Morikami Park Elementary (Coordinator: Amy Mercier)
- Pahokee Elementary (Coordinator: Cosha Jackson)
- Palmetto Elementary (Coordinator: Judith Ackerman)
- Westward Elementary (Coordinator: Bernadette Beneby)
Grades 6-10: International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme
The International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (IBMYP) is for students in Grades 6-10 and provides a framework of academic challenge and life skills appropriate to this stage of adolescence. The IBMYP offers a holistic approach that emphasizes critical thinking skills, global citizenship and intercultural awareness as well as traditional school subjects. The curriculum consists of eight subject groups integrated through six interactive areas providing global contexts for learning: 1) Identities and relationships, 2) Personal and cultural identity, 3) Orientations in space and time, 4) Scientific and technical innovation, 5) Fairness and development, and 6) Globalization and sustainability. The eight academic subjects required in Grades 6-8 of the IBMYP are: 1) Language and Literature (English), 2) Language Acquisition (additional World Language), 3) Mathematics, 4) Sciences, 5) Individuals and societies (Social Studies), 6) Arts, 7) Design (Technology), and 8) Physical and Health Education. In Grades 9 and 10, students take courses from six of the eight subject groups according to each IB high school's IB course pathway.
Middle Schools Offering the IB Middle Years Programme:
- Carver Middle (Coordinator: Daryl Pauling)
- Conniston Community Middle (Coordinator: Jeanette Gonzalez)
- H.L. Watkins Middle (Coordinator: Nathan Ringel)
- John F. Kennedy Middle (Coordinator: Joshua Wade)
- Pahokee Middle (Coordinator: Sonia Soto-Granville)
High Schools Offering the IB Middle Years Programme:
- Atlantic Community High (IB Pathways; Coordinator: Jackie Boileau)
- Forest Hill Community High (Coordinator: Andrea Lyman)
- Pahokee High (Coordinator: Perdy San)
- Suncoast High (Coordinator: Jana Hartley)
Grades 11-12: International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
The IB Diploma Programme (DP) is an academically challenging and balanced program of education that prepares Grades 11 and 12 students for effective participation in a rapidly globalizing world and for postsecondary success in college and career. It has been designed to address the intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being of students. Students study at least two languages and increase understanding of diverse cultures. Due to its rigorous nature, preparation for the IB program is offered through the IB Middle Years curricula in the 9th and 10th grades or through other accelerated curricula. The IB diploma is recognized internationally and leads to advanced standing in universities throughout the world. The IB Diploma Programme framework includes required courses within six subject groups: 1) Studies in Language and Literature, 2) Language Acquisition, 3) Individuals and Societies, 4) Experimental Sciences, 5) Mathematics and Computer Science, and 6) Arts. Schools can tailor the course sequences to meet each school’s focus. Courses offered to International Baccalaureate high school students can be accessed on the link for each school below.
Requirements: 3.0 Academic GPA. Algebra I or Algebra I Honors are recommended. It is also recommended to have Spanish, French, or Chinese for high school credit.
Leads to: International Baccalaureate Diploma
High Schools Offering the IB Diploma Programme:
- Atlantic Community High (IB Pathways; Coordinator: David Youngman)
- Forest Hill Community High (Coordinator: Alexa Kokotoff)
- Pahokee High (Coordinator: Perdy San)
- Royal Palm Beach Community High (Coordinator: Laurie Cotton)
- Suncoast High (Coordinator: Kevin Nielson)
- William T. Dwyer High (Coordinator: Shannon Farrell)
IB Career-related Programme (CP) for High School Students
The IB CP is a framework of international education that incorporates the values of the IB into a unique programme addressing the needs of students engaged in career-related education. The programme leads to further/higher education, apprenticeships or employment.
High Schools Offering the IB Career-related Programme: