Choice Parent Information Guide and Procedures Manual
Parent Information Guide and Procedures Manual
- Parent Information Guide
- Procedures Manual
Choice Program Eligibility Application for Appeal
Appeals are only accepted for the following reasons:
- A technical problem during the audition process (any relevant malfunction, such as defective equipment or a power failure in the building).
- A technical problem during the eligibility process (such as mathematical error).
- Inequity: Failure to provide appropriate accommodations according to the child's documented disability or limited English proficiency during the student's audition or eligibility processes
Important Information about the Appeals Process
The appeals process is governed by Policy 5.016 and is described in the District’s Procedures Manual for Choice Programs (www.palmbeachschools.org/choiceprograms).
- Parents may request an Appeals Committee hearing within five (5) school days from the date of the noti- fication indicating child’s program assignment, wait pool status, or determination of ineligibility. A request for Appeal Form 2418 must be submitted to the Director of Choice and Career Options and includes a written explanation of the alleged technical problem or inequity. Any pertinent information supporting the appeal should also be attached to the form.
- After the written Request for Appeal is received from the parent/guardian, the Choice Appeals Review Committee will investigate the alleged inequity or technical problem to determine its merit. (A Choice Appeals Review Committee is established annually under the direction of the Director of Choice and Career Options and consists of a diverse group of professional educators and administrators with knowledge of Choice and Career Options programs and District policies.)
- At the completion of the Appeals Committee review of appeals request, one of the following actions will occur within five (5) school days:
- The Department of Choice and Career Options Director will send a letter to the parent/guardian denying the appeal.
- The Department of Choice and Career Options Director will send a letter to the parent/guardian approving the appeal and notify the effected school of the need for a second eligibility review.
Do you have questions about choice programs? Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.