The Green Schools Recognition Program is coordinated by FAU Pine Jog Environmental Education Center and recognizes public, private and charter schools that encourage cultures of sustainability within their school environments. K-12 schools in Palm Beach and Martin Counties are eligible to apply; schools are designated green when they have made strides in:
- Making school grounds enhancements that encourage the use of the grounds as a learning environment and enhance the areas ecological integrity.
- Enhancing school sustainability through the conservation of energy and water and the reduction of solid wastes.
- Integrating curriculum that will prepare students to understand and act on current and future environmental challenges facing South Florida.
- Involvement with the community that fosters partnerships within the school building and local organizations in an effort to create an awareness of environmental issues between the school and the community.
- Administrative support through active professional development and the creation of a school philosophy and culture that embraces sustainability.
Congratulations to our 2017 Green Schools!
Here is a list of the 76 District public schools that have been given Green Schools designation by FAU Environmental Education Center:
|2017 Green School Award Winners
Top Green School of Excellence 2nd Place Winner & $1000:
Whispering Pines Elementary
Green Principal of the Year Award:
Bobbi Moretto of Coral Reef Elementary
Green Teacher of the Year:
Julie Beesley of Freedom Shores Elementary
Green Student of the Year:
Brandon Runner of Boca Raton Community High School
2017 Judge's Choice Award Winners
Awarded prizes ranged from $250-$500--Congratulations!
Audubon Society of the Everglades Habitat Improvement Award:
City of West Palm Beach Mayor’s Office of Sustainability Green My School Award:
Florida Power and Light Energy Conservation Award:
FUNraising Dollars Green Fundraising Award:
Mounts Botanical Garden Best Vegetable Garden Award:
FAU Pine Jog Environmental Education Ctr. Curriculum Integration Award:
FAU Pine Jog Environmental Education Ctr. Student-Led Initiatives Award:
FAU Pine Jog Environmental Education Ctr. Most Improved Award:
Pratt & Whitney Grant a Green School Wish Award:
School Pool FL Department of Transportation Sustainable Transportation Award:
Susan Toth Outstanding Outdoor Environmental Education Award:
Michelle Donahue Best Green School Video Award: