Resignations image

What is a Resignation?

Voluntary separation from a position or positions with the School District of Palm Beach County is referred to as a Resignation. There are two types of Resignation: Regular and Retirement. To resign from the District, you will need to follow the appropriate procedures for each.

Regular Resignation

To resign from a position or positions with the School District of Palm Beach County, you will need to submit an Online Resignation Request via Self Service in PeopleSoft. Your Resignation Request will be forwarded to your Supervisor, and then to the District's Human Resources Department for processing. For more information regarding how to submit a Resignation, please click here to view the presentation or here to view the guide.

Retirement Resignation

To retire from the School District of Palm Beach County, you must submit the appropriate Retirement Application to the District's Retirement Office for processing. The Retirement Office will review your Retirement Application, and, if complete, will process your Application. For more information regarding retiring from the School District, please visit the Retirement website.

Sick Leave Payout

Employees who resign, terminate, or retire with a minimum of six (6) years of FRS service employment, will receive compensation for unused sick time at the maximum allowable percentage per Florida Statute. All employees who have ten (10) consecutive years of service employment with the District must participate in the BENCOR Special Pay Plan. Upon separation with the District, sick time payouts will be paid out, based on IRS limits, and transferred to the BENCOR Special Pay Plan for the employee. Allow 6 - 8 weeks for final Payroll processing.

Annual Leave Payout

All 12 month employees are eligible for payment of accrued vacation time up to a maximum of 480 hours, or 500 hours if contract language supersedes State Statute. Any leave in excess of the maximum will be forfeited pursuant to State Statute and Board Policy. Annual leave payout for 12 month employees with ten (10) or more years of consecutive District service, is paid out at 100%, based on limits, and transferred to the BENCOR Special Pay Plan for the employee. Allow 6-8 weeks for final payout processing.

BENCOR Special Pay Plan

The BENCOR National Government Employees Retirement Plan™ (BENCOR Special Pay Plan) is offered by BENCOR, Inc. to help governmental units and their employees save up to 7.65% of Social Security/Medicare taxes and to defer income taxes on eligible Plan contributions. Eligible District employees are automatically enrolled in the program. For more information regarding the BENCOR Special Pay Plan please click here. To view the BENCOR Presentation, please click here.

Frequently Asked Questions (General)

Frequently Asked Questions (Payout)

HR Customer Care Center

For questions regarding resignations or any other HR-related topic, please contact our HR Customer Care Center. You may contact us, locally, at 561-434-8777 (Option 1) or outside the area at 877-477-3722 (Option 1). No time to call? Just send an email to

Rehire Information

For rehire rules and information covering Bargaining Group positions, please review the Bargaining Agreement for these positions. Bargaining Agreement information can be found on the Labor Relations website.

For FRS reemployment rules and information for employees who have retired from the District, please visit the FRS Reemployment After Retirement website.