Become a Substitute Teacher
Applications are available one day a month. Refer to the chart below.
If you recently submitted an application to become a substitute teacher, please check your email for directions to complete the hiring process. If you did not receive an email, see below for the hiring process details.
|Application Available Date||Job ID #||Status||Job Posting Title|
|February 1, 2018||TBD||
Will open 2/1/18
TCH DAY TO DAY SUBSTITUTE
Application & Hiring Process:
- Submit an online application for the substitute teacher job posting. Applications are available ONE day a month. Refer to the available date in the chart above.
- Register and attend the How to be a Better Substitute Workshop, if needed, and submit the Certificate of Completion to your technician. You are exempt from the How to be a Better Substitute Workshop if within the last 5 years you:
- Have been a substitute teacher,
- Have been a student teacher (or entering your student teaching),
- Have been a certified teacher with classroom experience, or you
- Are a retired teacher with classroom experience.
*Please note that proof of the above exemption qualifiers will be requested.
- Submit the required documents listed in your Hiring Requirements letter that you will receive from your technician.
- References must be completed by the listed person(s) on your Hiring Requirements Letter.
- If you are currently attending a college/university, references may be completed by professors.
- References must be signed and dated by both the applicant and the evaluator, and must include the Applicant ID number. Employment Reference Form
- Verification of Self Employment Form:To be completed only if you are currently, or have been, self-employed during the last 5 years. Provide an Employment Reference Form from each client listed on the Verification of Self Employment Form.
- Official transcript(s) reflecting all semester hours of college credit.
- At least 30 college credit hours must be earned from a university/college that has been accredited by one of the six regional accreditation associations in the United States. Transcripts from foreign colleges may need to be evaluated by an approved credential evaluation agency.
- Transcripts may be submitted in a sealed envelope to our physical address or sent electronically to email@example.com. Transcripts sent electronically must be sent by the college/university directly to the firstname.lastname@example.org email address.
- Submit Applicant Security Check form. Juvenile convictions, sealed or expunged records must be disclosed. For more information on disqualifying offenses visit the following webpage: https://www.palmbeachschools.org/ps/backgroundchecks/
6. Complete the online New Employee Orientation (NEO) forms and the online Employee Orientation (EO) videos. Both will be available in your Applicant Profile, once a job offer is extended
All documentation should be submitted to your technician. Applicants will receive an email from their technician that includes the technician’s name and contact information. Please submit ALL required documents by the last working day of the month you applied to the position, or you must reapply.
Once you have submitted the required documentation, your technician will email you with your Offer Letter and final steps. Please have your Social Security Card and Driver's License available to complete your final steps.
Fingerprints are taken by School Police at: 3300 Forest Hill Blvd., West Palm Beach, FL 33406 Click here for the fingerprint hours and fee. If you have further questions pertaining to your fingerprinting or your badge, you may call their office at 561-434-8300.
The following documents are required for fingerprinting:
- Original Social Security Card
- Government Photo ID (Current Driver's License, Passport, etc.)
- Job Offer Letter
Pre-Employment Medical Screening
You will be provided with a list of approved physicians and their locations with your Job Offer letter.
Please click on the following link to familiarize yourself with the location of our schools.
How much will I be paid?
|*Retired Teachers (From any State)||$13.91 per hour|
|BA/BS Degree or Higher||$13.39 per hour|
|AA/AS Degree or 60+ Earned Credits/Hours||$11.59 per hour|
|30-59 Earned Credits/Hours||$11.33 per hour|
|Glades Supplement||$3.00 per hour (additional)|
*For teachers who have retired from a school district other than Palm Beach County, to receive retired pay, they must submit proof of teacher retirement to their technician.