Students in all Palm Beach County schools are encouraged to participate in the 2nd Annual Palm Beach County Alcohol Prevention Poster Contest. Posters will promote a positive underage drinking prevention message along with an educational fact. The top six posters (two elementary, two middle, and two high schools) will be displayed on all school buses throughout the District. Semi-finalists will be featured at the 2012 South Florida Fair.
The official Kick-Off Event will take place on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 at 11:30 a.m. at the Fulton-Holland Educational Services Center Board Room.
This educational campaign is a true community collaboration including schools, students, parents, community agencies, businesses, and law enforcement. The Contest is sponsored by the District’s Student Intervention Services in the Department of Safe Schools, Transportation Department, and Public Affairs in partnership with the Acreage Loxahatchee Rotary Club, Palm Beach County Substance Awareness Coalition, and Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.
During the event, attendees will be able to interact with students who are creating their posters and speak with representatives from sponsoring agencies. “Adolescent alcohol use negatively impacts students’ academic performance. The academic consequences of alcohol use pose a significant and severe problem for the entire school community. This contest bridges the risks of underage drinking with a strong prevention message being carried into all communities,” said Mrs. Linda Salzman, Project Manager.
Schools can participate by:
- Attending the Kick-Off on Wednesday, October 26, 2001.
- Promoting the contest among their students – entry deadline is December 9, 2011.
- Visiting the semi-finalist entries at the South Florida Fairgrounds from January 13 through January 29, 2012.
- Encouraging students, staff, and parents to vote for the best posters during the online voting from January 10 through January 17, 2012.
- Attending the February 20, 2012 community event to honor the winning artists.
Community and members of the media are encouraged to attend.
For more information contact Linda Salzman at (561) 366-6979 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
Public Affairs Contact: Natalia Arenas – (561) 357-7662 – firstname.lastname@example.org