The Focused Model Updates
The Palm Beach Model of Instruction and the Focused Model updates have been selected by a committee comprised of teachers, CTA representatives, assistant principals, principals, and district staff. Based on the work of Dr. Robert J. Marzano and Learning Sciences International and adapted by the School District of Palm Beach County. It embraces the premise that all instructional personnel are capable of improving their practice regardless of their level of performance.
Domain 1 is based on the Art and Science of Teaching Framework and identifies the 3 Elements or instructional categories that are directly related to effective planning and preparing to facilitate better decisions in the classroom in order to produce the greatest gains in student learning.
- Planning Standards-Based Lessons/Units (Using established content standards, the teacher plans rigorous units with learning targets that demonstrate a progression of learning).
- Aligning Resources to Standards (Teacher plan includes traditional and/or digital resources for use in standards-based units and lessons).
- Planning to Meet the Needs of Diverse Learners (Teacher plans to meet the needs of diverse learners by using data and/or relevant information).
- Planning Conference Form (Optional)
- Reflection Conference Form (Optional).
- Intentional Thinking Map
- New Teachers: Lesson and Curriculum Planning
- Student Designed Curriculum: Do's & Don'ts
- Questioning for Cognitive Rigor
- Unit Planning Tool
- Providing Rigorous Learning Goals & Performance Scales
Focused Model Resources
Focused Model Videos
The Focused Model updates to the Palm Beach Model of Instruction have been finalized by the Joint Evaluation Negotiations Committee. The link below contains videos from Dr. Robert J. Marzano, Dr. Beverly Carbaugh, and Carla Moore of Learning Sciences International discussing the model of instruction and the history behind it.