Framework for the Palm Beach Model of Instruction
The Palm Beach Model of Instruction was selected by a committee comprised of teachers, CTA representatives, assistant principals, principals, and district staff. It is based on the work of Dr. Robert J. Marzano and Learning Science International. It embraces the premise that all instructional personnel are capable of improving their practice regardless of their level of performance.
Domain 2 is based on the Art and Science of Teaching Framework and identifies the 8 Elements or instructional categories that are directly related to effective planning and preparing to facilitate better decisions in the classroom in order to produce the greatest gains in student learning.
- Planning & Preparing for Lessons and Units (Effective Scaffolding of Information within Lessons, Lessons within Units, Attention to Established Content Standards).
- Planning and Preparing for Use of Resources and Technology (Use of Available Traditional Resources, Use of Available Technology).
- Planning and Preparing for the Needs of English Language Learners (Needs of English Language Learners).
- Planning and Preparing for the Needs of Students Receiving Special Education (Needs of Students Receiving Special Education).
- Planning and Preparing for the Needs of Students Who Lack Support for Schooling (Needs of Students Who Lack Support for Schooling).
- Connecting the Domains (Transcript)
- Scaling the Domains (Transcript)
- Discerning Domain 2 (Transcript)
- Deepening Domain 2 (Transcript)
- New Teachers: Lesson and Curriculum Planning
- Student Designed Curriculum: Do's & Don'ts
- Questioning for Cognitive Rigor
- Unit Planning Tool (Optional)
- Marzano Lesson Plan Format(Optional)
- Marzano CCRS Lesson Plan Format (Optional)
- Planning Conference Form A (Optional)
- Planning Conference Form B (Optional)
The pre-conference for all formal observations must take place face-to-face. The date and time of all formal observations must be scheduled between the teacher and their observer.
Informal observations taking place immediately before or after the Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring breaks are strongly discouraged.
Walkthrough observations will no longer count towards the teacher’s evaluation score. Only informal and formal observations will be utilized for the teacher’s evaluation score. They must be used for coaching purposes only.
FY19 Update Preview
Updates to the Palm Beach Model of Instruction are still in discussion and have not been finalized by the Joint Evaluation Negotiations Committee.