Located in beautiful western Lake Worth (just west of the Turnpike), Dr. Joaquín García High School is Palm Beach County’s first new high school in 20 years!
As a state-of-the art campus with a college feel, Dr. García HS has all the latest security features and built-in technology throughout the campus.
Dr. Joaquín García High School is a comprehensive high school with state of the art facilities, including a beautiful Performing Arts Center, a modern Media Center and an impressive gym. Students will enjoy an athletic compound with artificial turf, the only sand volleyball court in Palm Beach County, large fine arts classrooms, business labs and many other great facilities to accommodate a variety of programs.
About or Namesake:
"Eliminating obstacles to create opportunities."- Dr. García
Dr. García served as the chairman of the HEC for more than 12 years. He was also a successful and revered member of the business community in Palm Beach County for approximately 40 years. A fierce advocate for education and a strong supporter of dual language programs in Palm Beach County schools, his commitment to educational equity for all students set a powerful example and established a legacy of service that the HEC has pledged to continue.
Dr. García had frequently stated “I did not have any natural children, but I consider the tens of thousands of students in the District to be my children and my responsibility.”
Originally from Cuba, he spent his early years in Spain and later in Puerto Rico. He earned his medical degree from the Universidad Autónoma de Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic. Dr. García was also active in several community endeavors in Palm Beach County, including the Homeless Coalition of Palm Beach County, Compass, International AIDS Education Foundation, Cycle for The Cause, Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Health Education Outreach, and others.
Dr. García collaborated closely with the Guatemalan Maya Center, Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, and various Haitian organizations in the community. For these and other efforts, he received the Orden del Mérito Civil (Order of Civil Merit), an award established in 1926 by the King of Spain in recognition of civic virtues and extraordinary services.
Mission Statement Dr. Joaquín García High School
Our Mission at Dr. Joaquín García High School is to Educate, Affirm and Inspire each student in an equity-embedded school.
Some major areas of focus for the 2023-24 school year include:
- Establishing a welcoming and inclusive environment through personalized connections for all students.
- Providing a robust offering of academic, athletic and extracurricular programs to provide our students the complete educational experience.
- Providing a comprehensive wrap-around approach for students so that they are supported, seen and heard in a new school environment.
- Focusing on student outcomes as measured by class grades, state and national exams (AICE, AP) so that all students may be highly competitive in college and career options.
- Providing lifelong learning & organizational skills through AVID strategies and best instructional practices.
- Fostering a spirit of respect, responsibility and collaboration among all faculty and staff.