National Honor Society
The National Honor Society (NHS) is an organization dedicated to recognizing and encouraging outstanding high school students in grades 10-12. Founded in 1921 by the National Association of Secondary School Principals, it was the first nationwide honor society and now has chapters in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and many other US territories. The National Honor Society estimates that today, more than one million students participate in their activities.
Being a member of the National Honor Society shows that you are among the best students in your class, not just in terms of academics but also in terms of leadership, service, and character. It shows a commitment to community service projects and provides you the opportunity to network with like-minded peers. College admissions committees like to see anything that sets you apart as a top student, and this is one of them.
Additionally, NHS provides regular opportunities for you to build your leadership skills. Though not required, multiple conferences and events are available to NHS members throughout the year.
To be eligible for membership, the candidate must be a member of the sophomore, junior or senior class. Candidates must have been in attendance at Boca Raton Community High School for the equivalent of one semester.
Please see the criteria below:
1) A cumulative HPA of 3.5 or higher
2) A minimum of community service hours on a volunteer basis for a non-profit organization based on current grade level. These must be submitted into Student Services in order to count towards your application. No exceptions will be made to this policy. Seniors- A minimum of 80 hours Juniors - a minimum of 60 hours Sophomores – a minimum of 40 hours.
3) Have received no disciplinary action (no referrals).
4) Acceptable attendance records (not be excessively absent).
5) Exemplary character
6) Documented membership either in a school club or activity or outside school organization
Applications will be available to current sophomores and juniors from 3/23- 4/5. Please email Ms. Walsh for the Google Code.
Any further questions, please e-mail: Samantha Walsh.