Attendance Matters-"Go to Grow"
Help Your Child Succeed in School!
Build the Habit of Good Attendance Early!
School success goes hand in hand with good attendance!
DID YOU KNOW?
- Starting in Kindergarten, excessive absences can cause children to fall behind in school.
- Missing 10% (or about 18 days) can make it harder to learn to read.
- Students can still fall behind if they miss just a day or two every few weeks.
- Being late to school may lead to poor attendance.
- Absences can affect the whole classroom if the teacher has to slow down learning to help children catch up.
Attending school regularly helps children feel better about school and themselves. Good attendance will help children do well in high school, college and at work.
WHAT CAN YOU DO AS A PARENT/GUARDIAN?
- Set a regular bedtime and morning routine.
- Lay out clothes and pack backpacks the night before.
- Don’t let your child stay home from school unless he/she is truly sick. Keep in mind that complaints of a stomach ache or a headache can be a sign of anxiety and not a reason to stay home.
- If your child seems anxious about going to school, talk to the teachers or school counselor, to make him/her feel comfortable and excited about learning.
- Avoid medical appointments and extended trips when school is in session.