“Education teaches students how to write their name; arts education teaches students how to find their signature.”
– Renée Elise Goldsberry
The School District of Plam Beach County serves over 193,000 students in the areas of Music, Visual Arts, Theatre Arts, Dance, and TV Production. As a top-performing urban School District in Florida, students have the opportunity to experience the arts in elementary, middle, and high school through a variety of offerings across the county. As a 2017 & 2018 recipient of the National Association of Music Merchants ( Best Communities for Music Education distinction, the School District of Palm Beach County supports arts education as part of a well-rounded education.
Elementary fine arts programs are offered during the school day as well as opportunities for students to visit local arts and cultural organizations on field trips. School District of Palm Beach County students in local and national art competitions and exhibitions, including The Honda Classic Art Contest, the Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl Art Contest, Scholastic Art and Writing awards, and the Fall and Spring District art exhibitions. District students have been selected to perform at the 2018 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans, and in London’s 2019/2020 New Year’s Day Parade, and at the American Choral Directors Association National Conference.
The District is part of the Partners in Education program of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Since 2005, the District has been a partner with the Kravis Center for the Performing Arts and Florida Atlantic University.
“The Partners in Education program is based on the belief that teachers’ professional learning is an essential component of any effort designed to increase the artistic literacy of young people.” – Kennedy Center Partners in Education Program
Benefits of Arts in Education
- The arts allow students to think critically, solve problems, develop socially, and relate personally to the learning experience.
- The arts engage students. The arts allow students to make a personal contribution to the collaborative learning process.
- The arts give students a voice to be heard, to be seen, and to be recognized.
- The arts allow students to build knowledge and apply that knowledge to challenges.
- Through the arts, students make connections to self, the world, and others.
- Learning through the arts allows teachers to differentiate their instruction to reach students with various learning .
- Arts in education improves academic achievement.
- The arts make a difference in the lives of students.