International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (Grades 11–12)
The IB Diploma Programme (DP) is an academically challenging and balanced program of education that prepares Grades 11 and 12 students for effective participation in a rapidly globalizing world and for postsecondary success in college and career. It has been designed to address the intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being of students. Students study at least two languages and increase understanding of diverse cultures. Due to its rigorous nature, preparation for the IB program is offered through the IB Middle Years curricula in the 9th and 10th grades or through other accelerated curricula. The IB diploma is recognized internationally and leads to advanced standing in universities throughout the world. The IB Diploma Programme framework includes required courses within six subject groups. Schools can tailor the course sequences to meet each school’s focus. Courses offered to International Baccalaureate high school students can be accessed on the link for each school below.
Requirements: 3.0 Academic GPA. Algebra I or Algebra I Honors are recommended. It is also recommended to have Spanish or French for high school credit.
Leads to: International Baccalaureate Diploma
The IB Diploma Programme curriculum is made up of the DP Core and six subject groups
The three core elements are:
1) Theory of knowledge, in which students reflect on the nature of knowledge and on how we know what we claim to know.
2) The extended essay, which is an independent, self-directed piece of research, finishing with a 4,000-word paper.
3) Creativity, activity, service (CAS), in which students complete a project related to those three concepts.
The six subject groups in the IB Diploma Programme are:
1) Studies in Language and Literature
2) Language Acquisition
3) Individuals and Societies
6) The ArtsHigh Schools Offering the IB Diploma Programme:
Atlantic Community High
(Coordinator: Jackie Boileau) Course Sequence
Forest Hill Community High
(Coordinator: Shannon Deere) Course Sequence
(Coordinator: ) Course Sequence
Royal Palm Beach Community High
(Coordinator: Daniel DiCurcio) Course Sequence
(Coordinator: Maria Edgar) Course Sequence
William T. Dwyer High
(Coordinator: Deanna Schneider) Course Sequence